Grateful for Investments...

On the eve of Thanksgiving 2017, I have been reflecting upon the many blessings in our lives.  I am going to take a moment and share just a few thoughts from my heart today...

Three of the biggest blessings in my life are my three boys that you hear me talk about all of the time...write about....and you know it, post pictures of!

But without the two men that I am going to write about today, I wouldn't have these incredible gifts that call me mom...

As you all know, this is Ronnie's first Thanksgiving without his father here on earth...surviving football season without Pop was tough, really tough.  Nathan looked forward to Pop being here to see him play his last football season of high school, but heartbreakingly, we had an empty seat at every single ballgame, and it was a painful reminder of his absence in our lives.

We did not attend a single game where his absence was not notably present in our lives...

Opening day of college football was difficult...when Ronnie realized this was the first one without his dad, it was hard for him.  He said he just wanted to go to his dad's and watch football...

Grief, after losing Matthew, we are no strangers to...and understanding the "firsts" are all fixing to take place for him as a son, broke my heart...

So many "firsts" and he was now having to find ways to make the memories with our boys continue the best he could without the man who showed him how to be a father...

He looked to his father for advice, stern talks, encouragement, Godly wisdom, and of course all things sports (and Ole Miss) related!  He looked to his father as our kids grew up celebrating milestones and achievements with him, as fathers and sons do...

He looked ahead to seeing Pop's face at Nathan's first college baseball game and couldn't wait to see Pop smile...and the reality of Pop not sitting in the bleachers for his first game hurts his heart in ways I cannot mend. 

We know heaven is real and the hope that we have in our hearts of heaven gets us through the toughest of days, always has and always will...but it does not discount the absence that we feel in our hearts.

I have observed Ronnie and the boys navigating life together without Pop being a phone call away and I would have to say Pop would be really proud of Ronnie and the relationships he is continuing with the boys...the conversations he is still having with them...

It's what Pop would have wanted and it's what Pop would have smiled about. 

It has been in these moments of time behind closed doors that I am the most proud of my husband for, for I know these moments have been the hardest.   These are the moments his father prepared him for and now he is taking these moments and teaching our sons...

Making investments in your kids is something Pop was famous for...(I'm not talking about monetary stuff here folks!)  Just straight up, good ole' investments of love, time and lots and lots of stories of days gone by...stuff that money can't buy, but stuff  Pop so freely gave...



More than anything, I see that trait in Ronnie and I see the investments he makes with our boys, day in and day out...those investments are worth more than anything else he could provide...father and son time...being together...watching football or playing catch...there is just nothing better!

If Pop were here today, he would be really proud and he would probably tell y'all he taught him everything he knows...and he would be right!  

The investments Pop made into Ronnie and into our boys left a legacy that will continue as long as the Weatherly name does...for they know the importance of faith, family and love...they know the importance of making time for each other and making memories together...they all know It's Not Just Football!  If you missed that blog post, go back and read it! 

I want Ronnie to know I see his dad in him, so very much of him.  I see the love and care he has for our boys and I see the time he invests doing just what his father taught him...that 's pretty incredible to witness.

I see Ronnie embracing memories of yesterday while trying to create something new for him and the boys...I see him picking up his phone to call Pop and tell him about it...

Ronnie and the boys after their first duck hunting trip together

Just yesterday, they were talking and Ronnie said this was the first time since the 80's that he hasn't been to an Ole Miss game...and this is the first season Nathan has not gone to a game since he was a year old...Ronnie said "It just doesn't feel right."

He is so right, it just doesn't feel right without Pop...without the game day traditions, without Waffle House post game sessions or anything else in between...it doesn't feel right at all...and it won't feel right tomorrow having Thanksgiving dinner without him...
But that is where we are...here without him...

I told Mrs. Rose the other day it wouldn't be the same without Pop asking me to sneak him a piece of pie behind her back on Thanksgiving...she reminded me that he is sitting at the banquet table in heaven with pies we can only dream about!  That made me smile!

As I close, I am grateful for Pop and I am so grateful for the man that he raised that my boys have the honor to call father.

Pop and Ronnie at Will's 7th birthday party -Duck Dynasty theme

I wish I could tell him today thank you for the "investments!"  Not a single investment was wasted!  He left Ronnie the most beautiful gift a father could ever give to his son...and he gave to them a gift while he was here with us...he gave to them his time...time that is eternally cherished within our hearts and home.

Closing with a very grateful and sappy heart...


Happy Thanksgiving to you all...

And here's to making many "investments" this holiday season!  It just may be the perfect "gift" your loved one needs!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kisses from Heaven and a Christmas Miracle

My Three Sons...Our Story

When I'm Not There...Mission Acomplished